Thursday 7 May 2009

Future movements


The 4 week Easter break passed in a haze of 2 weeks mad work and 2 weeks lazing in the Mexican sun.

This break away from all things work and uni and more work, allowed me to cast my thoughts to which paths I might see myself following post graduation.

Year two has allowed me the opportunity to widen my vision of what a landscape architect could do. Particularly, the lectures I attended at eco build in March introduced to me some interesting professions. I am quite convinced at this stage that I would like to follow a horticultural and/or ecological path.....

The travels I have made to Madagascar over the last 3 years have enabled me to understand a little bit more about this incredible country and the ecological diversity it has managed to keep separate from the rest of the world for so many years. While there may be a lot of scientists and ecologists working and learning here, landscape architecture expertise is very much required here. There are various large scale mining projects taking place in the south east which are huge masterplanning projects as they are constructing new 'towns' almost, with 1000's of new homes for mine workers. As well as this, there is a huge agricultural farming issue all over the island: traditional practices of razing land to create farms which are killing fauna and flora, most importantly, the world's slowest growing tree - the baobab tree. (6 species of the world's 8 are found in Madagascar)
I found some writing online regarding the fires in Madagascar which was quite interesting -

Once I have finished my Landscape architecture undergraduate degree, at this stage I feel I will be working outside the UK. There are some Landscape architects with good philosophies and practice that I would be interested working for, some in the UK and some based elsewhere, but at this stage, who knows.

Some of these practices are:
Grant Associates - Bath
Kinnear Landscape Architects - London
L.D.A - London, Oxford, Peterborough, Exeter
Field Operations - NYC
Gross Max - Edinburgh
Nicholas Pearson Associates - Bath, Tiverton
Hargreaves Associates - London, Cambridge, NYC, San Francisco

Other professional bodies:
Groundwork - UK based offices
Design for London - London
Royal Botanic Gardens Kew - London



Limestone caves - Tulum, Yucatan Province, Mexico

No comments: